Welcome to the home page of the Society for Ming Studies. The Society is a scholarly organization that promotes the study of the Ming dynasty (1368–1644). It publishes a journal and a book series, as well as sponsoring panels on Ming topics at the annual meeting of the Association for Asian Studies. This site includes both information about the Society and its activities and material of wider interest to scholars of the Ming.
This page is hosted by the Faculty of Arts, University of British Columbia, with support from the Department of Asian Studies. The Society is an independent organization not affiliated with or sponsored by UBC.
By Bruce Rusk on May 29, 2018
From the Society for Ming Studies Graduate Student Representatives:
The graduate student representatives would like to invite you to our first Ming Studies digital seminar.
The seminar will take place on June 7th from 7 am to 8:30 am Pacific Standard Time (10 am EST, 3 pm BST, 10 pm CST).
We’ll be hosting an online discussion with Kenneth Hammond regarding his article, “Images of the Great Within: Cartographic Choices in Ming China,” in Ming Studies, 2018:77, 27-47. Our facilitator will be Bruce Rusk, of UBC.
This will be a free-form discussion. We ask that participants read Dr. Hammond’s article prior to the seminar and bring questions to the table. Graduate students are especially encouraged to join. Please do share this invitation with others who might be interested.
Professor Hammond’s article can be accessed via Taylor & Francis (click on the link below).
|Ming Studies, Vol 2018, No 77|
Dr. Hammond is a Professor of History at New Mexico State University. Many of you know Dr. Hammond’s monograph Pepper Mountain: The Life, Death and Posthumous Career of Yang Jisheng, 1516-1555, and his diverse publications in Chinese political and intellectual history. In “Images of the Great Within,” Dr. Hammond examines the diverse treatment of the Imperial Palace in sixteenth-century maps of Beijing, asking how cartographic choices “illustrate the differing interests and agendas” of map-makers.
Hope to see you online!
Sarah Basham (Outgoing Graduate Student Rep) and Xiaobai Hu (Incoming Graduate Student Rep)
By Bruce Rusk on April 16, 2018
The full schedule for the Scaling the Ming conference is now available.
Paper abstracts are now available (Scaling the Ming 2018 Abstracts).
Please RSVP if you would like to attend.
The conference has been generously sponsored by the Society for Ming Studies, the James P. Geiss and Margaret Y. Hsu Foundation, the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden, and UBC’s History Department, Department of Asian Studies, and Centre for Chinese Research.
Friday, May 18
|08:00||08:30||Breakfast||CK Choi Bldg, Rm 120|
|08:45||10:45||Panel 1 Global Climate and Local Environment chaired by Leo Shin
|11:00||13:00||Panel 2 The Body’s Perspective chaired by Timothy Brook
|Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden|
|15:15||17:15||Panel 3 Large within Small: Landscape, Garden, Rock, Flower chaired by Julia Orell
|17:30||19:00||Keynote Address Timothy Brook (UBC) Stealing the Buddha’s Tooth: Zheng He, Yongle, Tsongkhapa, and the Optics of Imperialism
Note: The previously scheduled keynote by Prof. Harriet Zurndorfer has been replaced by this address from Prof. Brook.
Saturday May 19
|09:00||09:30||Breakfast||CK Choi Bldg, Rm 120|
|09:30||11:30||Panel 4 New Approaches to Ming China’s Foreign Relations chaired by Nam-Lin Hur
|Panel 5 This Much We Know: Ideas and Information chaired by Bruce Rusk
||Liu Institute, Multipurpose Room|
|11:30||13:00||Lunch||CK Choi Bldg, Rm 120|
|13:00||15:00||Panel 6 People Near and Far chaired by Leo Shin
|Panel 7 Bounded in a Nutshell: Worlds Within Words chaired by Alison Bailey
||Liu Institute, Multipurpose Room|
|15:00||15:30||Break||CK Choi Bldg, Rm 120|
|15:30||17:30||Panel 8 Measures of Control chaired by Alison Bailey
By Bruce Rusk on March 24, 2018
At the Annual Meeting of the Society for Ming Studies in Washington DC, on March 23, 2018, a range of panelist presented their ideas for integrating teaching about the Ming into secondary education. This included a discussion by Ann Waltner and Kathleen Ryor of their recent videos for the Minneapolis Institute of Arts and creation of an online course about the Dream of the Red Chamber. Links to their material is below.
Handout for Ann Waltner and Kathleen Ryor presentation at Ming Studies meeting, March 23.
The online course (it’s really a website) on Dream of the Red Chamber: http://redchamber.dash.umn.edu/Omeka/
The videos produced by the Minneapolis Institute of Arts:
- Introduction Dream of the Red Chamber, Of Us and Art: The 100 Videos Project, Episode 78. Posted September, 2016. Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/182151662 Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c37x0ViM5qc
- Cheat sheet, Dream of the Red Chamber, Of Us and Art: The 100 Videos Project, Episode 84. Posted October, 2016. Vimeo https://vimeo.com/185553980 Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85gAfiJGpVM
- Cosmetics Case, Dream of the Red Chamber, Of Us and Art: The 100 Videos Project, Episode 85 Posted October, 2016.Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/185553981 Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q0x6qGtu2w
- Scholar’s Study, Dream of the Red Chamber, Of Us and Art: The 100 Videos Project, Episode 86 Posted October, 2016. Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/185553984 Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feH-OHrQ6q4
- Silk Robe, Dream of the Red Chamber, Of Us and Art: The 100 Videos Project, Episode 87 Posted December 2016 Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/194998382 Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtHDB4mHJHs
- Interior Painting, Dream of the Red Chamber, Of Us and Art: The 100 Videos Project, Episode 88 Posted October, 2016. Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/185558003 Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn9oEQ-6OkY
The longer videos, that Waltner edited.
- Dream of the Red Chamber, Afterlives: Wang Qiao’s Painting Posted Sept. 13, 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lbD5fLXzJ0 12:29
- Dream of the Red Chamber, Afterlives: Scholar’s Studio Posted Sept. 12, 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umkVZ8kmlPA 22:37
- Dream of the Red Chamber, Afterlives: Cosmetics Case Posted Sept.13. 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwDKIFxm_xE 11:48
- Dream of the Red Chamber, Afterlives: Theatrical Robe Posted Sept. 12, 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVW7yCEnGJk 12:42
- Dream of the Red Chamber, Afterlives: Embroidery Posted Sept. 12, 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=745U3g-OTrU 13:07
- Dream of the Red Chamber, Afterlives: Stones Posted Sept. 12, 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtAg4penUaA 4:17